Jan 01, 2010 All workers for your employer have the employer's tax reference, and it is unlikely tax office can trace you from that, they can only trace your employer. If you don't have a form P60 or form P45 with that employer (and the PAYE reference changes when you change employers) payrollHR will be able to give you reference. Or contact tax office.